Friday, February 11, 2011

Gone

Title: Gone
Author: Michael Grant
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 558
Source of Book: My local public library

Summary: (courtesy of http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Gone-Michael-Grant/?isbn=9780061448768)

In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.

Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...


My Rating: 8.5 out of a possible 10


Explanation: Well for starters, I had to stop reading this book twice. It wasn't especially graphic or frightening, and it was an original and interesting concept; however, something about it struck a chord with me.
 
I picked up this book as a quick read, since I've read about everything in the library, but it gave me nightmares and strange dreams for two nights. I have never had bad dreams relate so exactly to a book, ever.
 
Now, aside from my brain's strange reaction..
The concept of this book was unlike any book I've ever read, and it's fascinating. I had to keep reminding myself these were children 14 and under, as they were forced to act so adult. It was off to a slow start, but things get intense halfway through and do not stop.
 
I didn't know what to expect and things just kept clicking into place one by one. Overall, this book was fascinating, disturbing, and an entirely new concept to my reading. I would read it if you want a book that is unlike any book you've ever read with action, action, and a wide array of characters both lovable and hateable. Oh, and action.
 
I'm not sure if I liked it, but the fact that it struck me this deeply is reason enough for an 8.5 for me. Oh, and I will be reading the sequel [it's a trilogy].

No comments:

Post a Comment