Monday, February 14, 2011

The Book of Spells

Title: The Book of Spells: A Private Prequel
Author: Kate Brian
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Pages: 336
Source of Book: My local public library

Summary: (courtesy of http://www.privatetheseries.com/book-of-spells/)

It all began with a dusty leather-bound spell book. With the book of spells in hand, the Billings Girls possess enough power to form a secret coven. Bonded in sisterhood, they wield their magic to free themselves from the watchful eyes of their headmistress—and to bolster their courage with the boys of Easton Academy. But what starts out as innocent fun, soon turns sinister. From 1915 to 2010, fun always leads to something sinister when it involves the Billings Girls.

My Rating: 7.5 out of a possible 10

Explanation: I found this book much more interesting overall than the other books in the Private series.
I liked the 1915 old timey feel [a taste I learned to love by reading the Luxe series], and I liked how it had that touch of unrealistic with successful witchcraft.

Overall, I liked that this novel and characters stood alone, but that it relates so strongly to the most recent [and probably future] Private novels. The characters are magnificent and multifaceted, and my only criticism is how one of the plot lines ends...

Aside from that? I liked this novel, and I wish it would spin off into its own series.

No comments:

Post a Comment